HERE YOU WILL FIND ALL IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR HAIR TRANSPLANTATIONS
Hair transplantations are the only effective solution to fight baldness. It is possible for men and women. The most common areas are on the scalp, the beard and eyebrows.
Before the operation the future hairline will be determined with the doctor. Initially a contact free, painless local anesthesia will be given. For the operation hair from the donor area will be taken and afterwards transplanted into the recipient area. There are different methods how to transplant the hair, which you can find hereinafter.
Besides the chosen method and the quality of the equipment, the experience of the doctor is also important for a long lasting and satisfying operation. Therefore we have chosen Clinicana in Istanbul as our partner, as this is the most renown clinic in Turkey specialized on hair transplantations. They use only the most modern equipment and the latest methods.
Our packages include up to 5000 grafts, so that you will receive the best possible result for your individual situation, for a fixed price.
HERE YOU CAN FIND OUR REASONABLE
Before the operation the future hairline and the operation method will be determined, individual wishes discussed and open questions answered.
We only use the two most modern methods for hair transplantations, micro-FUE and DHI. Both methods use the backside of the head as the donor area, as this hair is more resistant against future hair loss. The extraction phase is the same for both methods. We use the newest technology, a pulsing micro-motor, which separates the grafts from the skin more gentle.
The operators watch out not to damage the donor area and to maintain a natural appearance of it.
During the transplantation the operator observes the direction of hair growth, to provide a natural-looking result.
Sapphire micro-FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is a further development of the common FUE method. In contrast to conventional steel blades, sapphire blades make smaller channels and adjust in size and shape to the individual structure of the hair. So the channel size corresponds to the size of the hair follicles, which leads to an optimal recovery.
1. Shortening of the hair to approximately 2mm and then washing with an antiseptic solution.
2. Local anaesthesia of the donor area – 5 min.
3. Hair follicles will be extracted from the donor area – up to 2.5 hrs.
4. The extracted hair follicles are sorted by quality and then stored in a specially cooled, nutrient solution. The best ones are taken for the visible frontline and bad ones are sorted out.
5. Local anaesthesia of the recipient area – 5 min.
6. Opening of channels with special sapphire blades – 40-90 min.
7. Implantation of the grafts into the opened channels – up to 3.5hrs.
8. Examination – 15min.
9. Washing of hair & coverage with sterile gauze.
- Due to a more time-efficient process than the common FUE and DHI methods, better for larger areas
- Better for curly or sensitive hair, as no loading into a pen is required
- Low bleeding, due to smaller channels than traditional FUE
- Little longer recovery time than DHI
- High survival rate of the grafts
- Natural results
- No scars
- High density possible
DHI (Direct Hair Implantation) is a new development of the FUE method. The extraction of the grafts from the donor area is similar to FUE. In the transplantation phase, the opening of the channels and the transplantation of the grafts go simultaneously, by using a Choi implanter pen.
1. Local anaesthesia of the donor area – 5min.
2. Hair follicles (grafts) are extracted from the donor area – up to 2.5 hrs.
3. The extracted grafts are sorted by quality and then stored in a specially cooled, nutrient solution. The best ones are taken to the visible front and bad ones are sorted out.
4. Local anaesthesia of the recipient area – 5 min.
5. Simultaneous opening of the channels and transplantation of the extracted hair follicles, by using a Choi implanter pen – up to 3 hrs.
6. Examination – 15 min.
7. Washing of hair & coverage with sterile gauze.
- no shaving required.
- Better control of depth and angle of the implanted hair.
- Better recognition of the natural hair growing direction, for a more natural look.
- Highest survival rate of transplanted hair, as the time outside of the skin is minimized.
- Less bleeding and shorter recovery time, as the creation of channels and the transplantation of the grafts happens simultaneously.
- No scars.
- Possible in hairy areas.
- After 14 days the transplanted area should be completely clean and healed.
- 2-3 weeks after the operation, up to 60% of the transplanted hair can fall out (shock loss phase). Don’t worry, as this is a natural process. The hair roots will remain.
- 2-3 months after the operation, new hair begins to grow.
- 6 months after the operation, all hair will grow. For the first time you can go to the hairdresser.
- It can take up to one year to see the final results.
1. What is a graft?
A graft is a follicular unit, which is composed of 1-4 hair follicles. In each follicle is one hair. The hair in each follicle has a life cycle of about 2-6 years. It grows with a rate of 0.6-1.2cm/month for most of the time. For the last 3 month of it’s lifecycle it goes into a resting phase and falls out afterwards. Then the follicle will produce a new hair and the cycle begins again.
The average human has about 100.000 hairs on the head. A fallout of 50-100 hairs a day is normal.
2. What is the reason for hair loss?
Hair loss in men is mostly genetic. However, other factors such as stress, medication, age, diseases or environmental factors can also have an impact.
One of the most common reasons for genetic baldness (androgenic alopecia), is an androgen called Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). About 10% of the hormone Testosteron gets derived into DHT. Once in the bloodstream, DHT links to receptors on hair follicles, causing them to shrink, shorten the life cycle and to grow thinner looking hair.
3. What is the donor area?
For a hair transplantation hair from the backside of the head is taken, as this is more resistant against hair loss, due to a higher resistance against Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). For eyebrow transplantations hair behind the ears will be taken, as this is thinner and resembles the eyebrow hair in its structure.
4. Does hair in the donor area grow back after the transplantation?
No. Hair does not grow back in the donor area because the hair follicles have been removed. Even though the hair density in the donor area will be lower, our doctors will preserve a natural appearance without damaging the donor area.
5. Can implanted hair fall out again?
For the transplantation hair will be taken from the backside of the head, which is more resistant against hair loss and makes future hair loss unlikely.
6. Can it occur that transplanted hair does not start to grow?
At a clinic with experienced surgeons and modern equipment, more than 95% of the transplanted hair will grow. Therefore a success of the hair transplantation can be expected.
7. What are the causes of hair loss in women?
Hair loss in women is mostly based on hormonal disorders, pregnancy, breastfeeding, stress, lifestyle, emotional shock, drugs, diseases, genetics and environmental factors.
Using strong chemicals in hair coloring can also accelerate hair loss.
Especially aesthetic reasons are popular, as adjustments of the hairline make the forehead appear smaller and lead to a more feminine appearance.
8. How long does a hair transplantation take?
The hair transplantation usually takes 4 to 6 hours with a lunch break. During the surgery most patients rest, watch films or listen to music. Some of our patients even fall asleep during the procedure.
9. How many grafts can be transplanted in one session?
Our packages include up to 5000 grafts with the sapphire micro-FUE method, so that you will get the best possible result for your current situation. This is also the number which can be transplanted in one day.
With the DHI method approximately 2000 grafts are possible in one day.
10. Is a hair transplantation painful?
Hair transplants are basically painless. Due to our modern contactless local anesthesia, even this process is meanwhile completely pain-free. The healing phase is likewise free of pain.
11. What are the side effects of a hair transplantation?
Hair transplantations are classified as low-risk. There may be slight redness, itching or dry skin. In the worst case some bleeding can occur. As long as the patient follows the aftercare instructions, no complications should occur.
12. Is there any risk from anaesthesia?
We perform our hair transplantations with the latest local anaesthesia methods. It works by pressure, hence is contactless without injections. As long as the patient is not allergic to the anaesthetic, there is no health risk. General anesthesia is not necessary.
13. Can I get a hair transplantation, if I have diabetes?
Diabetes is not an exclusion criteria for a hair transplantation. However, this should be discussed with the doctor. Sugar levels in blood must be under control (at least for 10 days before the operation). Diabetes might affect the healing process. Therefore, the risk of complications and infections should be minimized.
14. In which language can I communicate with the doctor and the clinic staff?
The entire team speaks fluent English and Turkish. If necessary, we are pleased to organize a translator for you.
15. After what time can I go back to work?
You should wait 2-3 days after the surgery before returning to work. We recommend waiting one week.
Patients doing heavy physical work should consider a break of minimum two weeks.
16. When can I begin with physical activities?
Physical activities as sports, exertion and excessive stress should be avoided for one month after the operation, as high blood pressure can push out the implanted grafts of the scalp.
Likewise, environments with an increased risk of infections of the scalp (e.g. swimming pools, swimming in the sea) should be avoided.
17. When will sexual activities be possible?
For two days after the hair transplantation, you should not engage in any sexual activity, as this increases blood flow and blood pressure. High blood pressure can push the grafts out of the scalp.
After 3 to 10 days you can start sexual activity. Keep in mind that the head must not be tilted downwards. Make sure that the partner does not touch the transplanted area. Reduce movements so that there is minimal physical exertion. After two weeks you can carefully resume normal sexual intercourse.
18. When can I go to the hair dresser for the first time?
You shouldn’t use an electric shaver on your scalp for 6 month. During this period, your hair should only be cut with scissors. Tell your hairdresser of your surgery
19. Can I smoke and drink alcohol in the time of the operation?
You should refrain from nicotine, tobacco and alcohol 1 week before the operation and 2 weeks after it, as these impair the oxygen supply to the skin, weaken the immune system and thus prolongs the healing process.
20. When can I go sunbathing / to sauna?
Avoid direct sunlight and hot temperatures (solarium, hot weather, sauna) for minimum 3 months. Within the first year, you should wear a suitable headgear as protection, whenever possible.
21. Do scars remain after the hair transplantation?
Our modern sapphire micro-FUE and DHI methods leave only extremely small scars, which are practically invisible. In course of time these will bleach out even more. You can easily wear very short hair.
With each of these methods, red spots and bruising can appear after the hair transplantation, which will disappear within the first two weeks after the procedure. Another advantage of the Micro-FUE and DHI methods is a significantly shorter recovery time than e.g. with the traditional FUE or FUT methods.
21. Do I have to shave my hair completely before the operation?
Shaving of the hair is only necessary for the FUE method and older methods like FUT. For the DHI method a shaving is not required. With the shaving a disinfection of the head will be done. This minimizes the risk of infections.
Please do not shave your head by yourself shortly before the hair transplantation, as this will be done in the clinic
22. Is there an age limit for hair transplantations?
A hair transplantation is possible for adults over the age of 18. The patient should be healthy with no genetic hair growth restrictions.
23. Can the hair be taken from other parts of the body?
If the donor area is too small or insufficient to provide enough grafts, hair can be taken from the chest or the chin. However, a body hair transplantation (BHT) is not a suitable alternative for every patient.
Breast hair is weaker, curly, shorter, does not grow like scalp hair and has a shorter life expectancy. Breast hair cannot be used for the hairline, but can be used on the top of the head to increase the hair density.
If the beard is similar to the scalp, it can be used as the donor area. The hair roots are removed from the underside of the chin so that there won’t be any visible “gaps”.
24. Can artificial or synthetic hair be implanted?
We can only discourage from this. There is an increased risk that the hair would be recognized as a foreign body and thus be rejected. In addition, artificial hair looks less natural.
25. Can hair be transplanted from another persons donor area?
This is theoretically possible, but we do not recommend it. On one hand for aesthetic reasons, on the other hand there is an increased risk that transplanted hair will be rejected by the body of the recipient. Furthermore, immunosuppressive medications would have to be taken, which are very expensive and can pose a further health risk.
26. Can I choose between the FUE and DHI methods?
Before the operation you will decide together with the doctor, whether the sapphire micro-FUE or DHI method is more suitable for your case. With the DHI method about 2000 grafts can be transplanted in one day, whereas with the FUE method 5000 grafts are possible.
27. What is the best time of the year for hair transplantation?
There is no preferred time for hair transplantation. The procedure can be carried out at any time of the year.
28. Will the health insurance pay for the hair transplantation?
As hair transplantations are mainly performed for aesthetical reasons and are medically not urgent, health insurance do not pay for the hair transplantation.
29. When and how can I pay for the surgery?
Except for the deposit, you will pay the remaining costs in the clinic. You can pay by credit card or cash in Turkish Lira or Euro.
30. When can I dye my hair
You should wait at least 4-6 weeks, as the chemicals in the dyeing products can harm the healing process.
31. Which shampoo shall I use after the hair transplantation?
In the clinic you will receive a special shampoo and foam spray. Use these until they are finished. Afterwards you should continue with a ph-neutral, natural shampoo in the first 6 month after the surgery.
32. Is a hair transplantation with curly hair possible?
It depends on the individual structure of the hair. The DHI method requires straight hair, whereas the FUE method gives a little more space to implant curly hair. Nevertheless in some cases the hair is so curly, that the curls begin already in the root. In these cases the implanted follicles might get damaged and won’t survive the transplantation. Therefore a proper hair transplantation is not possible.
We will analyse each case individually and evaluate, if a hair transplantation makes sense.
33. Can I use Finasteride and Minoxidil after the surgery?
We can recommend the usage of Finasteride and Minoxidil (5%) for a period of 6 month after the surgery.
Please ask your doctor, if these are advisable for you.
For a free and non-committal consultation, just leave your contact details. Our medical consultant will contact you for an individual consultation and answer your questions.
To provide you further information regarding your current position and the expected results, use the possibility to upload pictures of your current situation.
Clinical Advisor DMCC
DMCC Business Centre/ Level No 1
Jewellery & Gemplex 3 / 0000 Dubai
Cooperation with Meditravel